WhisperFin Original vs. PRO
While the choice between the original and PRO versions of the WhisperFin can be generalized using line length, your choice should be driven mostly by your personal skiing technique. Here are some things to consider:
- Regardless of line length or skill level, if you tend to approach the turn tip-high then rotate a lot of tip into the water to turn (think windshield wiper), the PRO version is far more forgiving of this technique.
- If you tend to blow the tail out of the water or to get a lot of tail slides when scrambling, go pro.
- If you turn better on one side than the other, putting a slight bend on one or more of the chevrons at the back can make a big difference to the symmetry of your skiing (a one-time modification for good skiers only).
- If your skiing inputs are smooth, progressive and controlled, the original WhisperFin can take you all the way. If your inputs tend to be choppy or aggressive, the PRO will be better.
- Both fins benefit novice through expert skiers by making the ski easier to turn and accelerate.
- Both fins benefit advanced skiers by making it easier to keep the tip down while exiting turns.
- The PRO can always be mounted shallower in the ski to make it just as novice friendly as the original. But running the original deeper can’t replicate the benefits of the PRO’s improved grip at high roll angles and extreme levels of smear.